Here’s an interesting little training video by Ed Gandia from the International Freelancers Academy, fitting this week’s topic very nicely. It’s called „How to Create a High Impact Elevator Speech – How to craft an elevator statement that sparks conversation„ and is part of a free new online training series for freelancers.
Here is a short summary of what Ed talks about:
- An elevator speech is a statement that succinctly describes what you do.
- Keep it to 15 seconds or less (it’s a statement, not a speech, despite its name).
- The 3 big elements: What do you do? For whom do you do it? Why are you different?
- Simplicity is key! Focus on your core value and your main differentiator.
- Relevance: Have different versions for different audiences.
- Talk like a human, don’t sound like a walking, talking brochure, be conversational.
- Remember: It’s a conversation starter, like a food sample in the supermarket.
He closes with an assignment on how to go about drafting an elevator speech, which I think is really helpful.
So go ahead, listen and learn and find new customers – maybe even in an elevator! 🙂