In these parts, something exciting happened just in time for the beginning of the holiday season – it snowed!
(OK, so it was great as long as I didn’t have to leave the house; then, it was a pretty nerve-wracking and slow affair, but that’s not what I wanted to talk about.)
It was a pretty unmistakable reminder that “tis the season” again, and I wanted to take this opportunity at the beginning of it to share a really great podcast about how to deal with this time of the year as a freelance translator without going crazy.
It’s from last November, but that really doesn’t matter, as things have not really changed much compared to back then.
The episode I’m talking about is #29: Handling the Winter Holidays: A Special Episode With Speaking of Translation, a special with Corinne McKay and Eve Bodeux from Speaking of Translation (also a great resource!).
The topics covered are:
- How they usually handle the end-of-year holidays, specifically Christmas and New Year’s Eve
- What ideas they have for beginning freelance translators and how they might use the holidays to their advantage
- How they determine when they need to take some time off and how they make sure they don’t sneak off to work a little bit now and then
- What they send clients and colleagues as holiday gifts
- How they let their clients and colleagues know about their time off and what they do to prepare for this break
- What ideas they have for post-holiday marketing
- How they like to wrap up the year and get ready for the new one
So grab a cup of hot cocoa, tea, or coffee (and maybe some cookies, too) and get ready for an hour filled with lots of useful information. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!